Very often we see news on the TV and Internet that incites passions and polarises views.One can never be sure of the real reason the media is propagating this news.
Is it to ensure that justice is meted out correctly or is it just a cheap stunt to spike TRP ratings?
Is it,then, worthwhile to engage in speculations when we can never be sure that someone may be orchestrating a revolution with intentions that are not in alignment with our values?
I have developed a simple checklist to help navigate through general chatter or gossip.Here it is :–
- Can this piece of information be used a tidbit in a future conversation ? (“No man is an island” and sometimes you need to break the ice).
- Does this piece of information contribute to my personal growth? (Growth = Better financial position,improvement of job skills or general physical well-being)
- Is this information useful for others?
- Does it affect me financially?
- Does it affect my family?
If the answer is a resounding “NO” to any one of the above questions, I don’t bother paying attention and move forward.A lot of people get too concerned about global events and pay no attention to events that happen in their immediate vicinity.There is no point in getting worked up about something if you are not going to be affected in anyway (especially when you don’t have the power to change anything). You can save yourself from a lot of stress and wasted time by just looking for relevancy…Productivity and Good Health will follow.